These amazingly soft chocolate cookies are stuffed with ooey gooey, fudgy deliciousness. Almost guaranteed to win over the heart of any self proclaimed chocolate lover, these are a must try recipe for your Valentine’s day.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Tips for The Perfect Hot Fudge Lava Cookies
Let that fudge freeze completely!
Will it still be sticky coming out of the freezer? Yes. But they still need to be very cold and decently solid. Let it freeze for about half an hour to an hour.
If you don’t give the fudge plenty of time to freeze, the fudge will seep into the cookies while they bake and you’ll end up with empty center. Still a good cookie, just not what we’re going for.
Give yourself plenty of time to bake these. Some fresh lava cookies aren’t hard to make, however, for perfection they require quite a bit of chill time before baking.
(You will chill the fudge topping, then the soft chocolate cookie dough, THEN you’ll combine the two and chill again before baking).
When you wrap the cookie dough around the hot fudge, make two 1 tablespoon sized balls of dough and flatten them into disks. Place the frozen fudge in the centers.
Pinch the cookie dough closed around the fudge ball so that there are no gaps or holes.
If there’s gaps, that fudge will ooze out while baking and make not only a mess, but also a disappointment.
Please, for all that is delicious, don’t get ambitious and try to make homemade hot fudge sauce for this recipe!
We really REALLY don’t need to make these cookies harder than they need to be. Remember: boss babes like you work smarter…not harder.
And while hot fudge is easy to make and delicious to have homemade….you want to make absolutely sure that it is the proper consistency for these lava cookies.
Store bought hot fudge ice cream topping is thick, easily freezeable, and most importantly always consistent in texture.
To re-experience the warm, melty delicious-ness of fresh out of the oven lava cookies, reheat in the microwave for 10 seconds.
(It should be noted, put a plate under the cookie before heating, it is likely to fall apart once extra warm and soft).
Hot Fudge Lava Cookies
I don’t care if you have a sweet significant other or your thriving with the single life. I don’t care you’re focusing on your career or the nearest thing to a love life you have is you cat gently being the little spoon every night.
Valentine’s day is a day for love. Self love, romantic love, platonic love…and of course love of chocolate.
And these hot fudge lava cookies are perfect for all 4 types of love.
Perhaps you’re in need of Valentine’s Day ideas. (I mean, you’re probably not, but I like to give unsolicited ideas anyways).
Here are some simple Valentine’s Day options (since we’re still in the pandemic and all that).
Enjoy some lovely self love time
You can’t deny that there’s nothing better than enjoying a night of some classy self care.
And by classy I mean lounging on the couch in your favorite old t-shirt, re-watching your favorite Netflix show, using the back of your hand as a napkin and of course stuffing your face with some chocolate lava cookies.
You deserve the soft sensual love of delicious, fudgy, melty chocolate. It never talks back, is always there for you, and is perfectly comforting. All in the name of self care.
Enjoy a Date Night In
If you have a significant other your Valentine’s Day could honestly look like the self care night. No greater romance than the romance of being completely yourself…no matter how nasty you can be I suppose.
But if you want a more legit romantic Valentine’s I recommend a fancy home cooked meal (or some delicious fancy-ish take out), a bottle of wine, and your most luxurious sweat pants. (IT’S STILL A PANDEMIC)!
Finish off the night with some conversation while the lava cookies bake and then indulge.
Voila. A date night worthy of 2021.
Girls Night In
And for a girls night in, invite your closest friends over, pop some bubbly, and turn on some jams.
Order lots of pizza, bake the fresh lava cookies, and get ready to spill the latest tea.
Hanging with the girls for a Galentine’s day celebration will only produce memories, too full of bellies, and night well spent.
Hot Fudge Chocolate Lava Cookies
- 1 cup butter unsalted, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- 1 cup Dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour 240g
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 tsp hot fudge ice cream topping
Prep Your hot fudge filling
- Scoop the filling onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet in 1 teaspoon dollops. Place in the freezer while we prepare the cookie dough.
Make the Dough
- Cream your butter and sugars together for 3-4 minutes until fluffy. Pour in your melted chocolate.
- Then whisk in your vanilla then your eggs one at a time. Mix until just combined.
- Chill your dough for half an hour. Then remove the dough from the fridge and the frozen hot fudge from the freezer.
- Scoop a tablespoon sized ball of cookie dough and press into a flat disk. Take one ball of the filling and place it into the center of the cookie dough. Now scoop a second tablespoon of dough press into another disk and place on top of the filling. Pinch the sides to seal and then roll into a ball.
- Repeat with all the dough. Chill the cookies for 20-30 minutes before baking. Preheat your oven to 350°/180°C and line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Bake 6 cookies per baking sheet at a time for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Drizzle some melted white chocolate on top of some pretty aesthetic and enjoy! Store in the fridge in an airtight container
Find All The Sweet Tooth Satisfaction Over on Our Instagram!
Most of us have a love hate relationship with the good ol’ V Day. But whether you like it or hate it, you can still enjoy these fudgy lava cookies.
I mean, there isn’t really a greater love in the world than chocolate…especially the rich ooey gooiness of some molten lava stuffed cookies.
So bake them, fall in love, and then don’t forget to thank me later.
While you’re here, why not check out some of our other cookie recipes to keep that sweet tooth satisfied!
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would love this recipe!? Share this post with them!