Cute, simple and delicious, these Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving are what holiday dreams are made of.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Why You Should Make Rice Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving
Not everyone loves pie. I know, I know those people are crazy. But even if everyone in your household is obsessed with pie, these Rice Krispies treats should still be included on your menu for Thanksgiving.
Rice Krispie treats are gluten free and kid friendly. There’s nothing easier to bake with kids than Rice Krispie treats too. So it’s a wonderful tradition to start in autumn if you have kids, young siblings, young nieces and nephews, or just because you too are a child at heart!
Plus, compared to slicing a piece of pie…well these are less messy and easier than…well, pie.
But most importantly they’re so stinkin’ cute!
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving Tips + Tricks
Scaling it Up
Because we have to divide the ingredients into 2 batches, it is easiest to have a kitchen scale. Most mini marshmallow bags where I live are 10oz so I just use one bag.
However, dividing it into separate into 4oz and 6oz isn’t as easy as you’d think. Save yourself some stress and just use this handy dandy kitchen scale. I use it all the time and it’s super simple to use (plus affordable).
I won’t lie to you, I make Rice Krispie Treats most often when I have a bunch of marshmallows going stale. (I’m ashamed to admit how often that happens).
If that’s what you’re trying to do, it’s a great method. However, depending on stale the marshmallows are, you may need to add up to an extra tablespoon of butter.
You’ll want your melted marshmallows to be smooth and when you pick up and drop it back in the pot with a spoon it’ll drop in beautiful ribbons. And if they’re rather stale, you might need more moisture. Hence….butter.
Mix is too Sticky
If the mixture is too sticky to press down, allow the mix to cool for a couple minutes then take a piece of parchment paper and press down again. No stick, voila!
(If it’s still too sticky, press a cold spoon down on top of the parchment paper).
Press It Down
Really press your Rice Krispies down. You want them to be denser so that the “crust” and center stick together and you won’t have a sad, crumbly mess.
Stick a cake pop stick in your sliced triangle pieces and you’ve got adorable pies on the go. Bring them to your work, share with friends, or bring to actual Thanksgiving dinner for a treat that won’t last long.
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5-10 drops Orange gel food dye
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Grease a standard pie tin with butter and set aside.
- Divide your Rice Krispies into two large mixing bowls. One with 2 cups and one with 4 cups.
- Then divide your marshmallows into two other bowls. One with about 4 oz and the other with 6oz.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 4oz of marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat stirring every so often. Once melty and smooth, add in ½ tsp of your vanilla extract, stir in, and pour over the bowl with 2 cups of Rice Krispies. Mix until well combined and press into a ring around the outside of your pie pan. *note1
- Next melt the rest of your marshmallows and butter in your saucepan. Add your cinnamon and orange food coloring and mix until the color is well incorporated.
- Pour this over the remaining cereal and mix until well coated and orange in color. (This can sometimes take some good elbow grease)!
- Press the orange Rice Krispies into the center of your pie pan. Press down the the cereal (edges included) until uniformly flat and tight. This prevents a crumbled cut. Note2
- Chill for an hour before cutting.
Follow The Fulfillment Pill on Instagram!
Keeping your Thanksgiving recipes simple is 100% the best way to keep Thanksgiving enjoyable. And it doesn’t hurt when your recipes are also 100% adorable!
Once you’ve made the cutest pumpkin pie Rice Krispie Treats for Thanksgiving, take a pic, post it on the gram and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
And of course, check out all of our other fall recipes as well to keep that sweet tooth satisfied!
Also, for funsies let me know what your favorite type of pie is in the comments below!
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would would love these pumpkin pie Rice Krispie Treats? Share this post with them!
See you soon, friends!